Content Marketing for Accountants: What You Need to Know
Content marketing for accountants is a strategy to attract, engage, and retain members of your target market by creating and sharing client-relevant materials like articles, videos, podcasts, and other media.
Why an Accounting Firm Needs Content Marketing
Content marketing may not be at the top of your to-do list as an accountant, but it should be! An effective digital marketing program can be a game-changer for your business in today's digital world. When properly implemented and executed, content marketing can:
- establish you as an expert in your field
- promote your brand to people looking for your services
- keep your business top of mind for current and prospective clients
There are numerous ways to use content marketing for your accounting firm. We discuss three of them here: accounting email newsletters, social media marketing for accountants, and search engine optimization (SEO).
1. Accounting Email Newsletters
A great way to directly communicate with current and prospective clients is to send regular updates from an email newsletter platform. Doing so keeps your business front of mind when a need for your services arises. To launch an email marketing campaign, you first need a list of contacts. Those contacts are people who agree to subscribe to your firm's email communications. Once your contact list is in place, sending recurring email newsletters, one-time messages about special offers, or the latest financial news, is easy. Ideally, your emails are:
- customized to reflect your firm's brand
- scheduled in advance to save you time
- filled with quality content that is relevant and immediately useful to your readers
2. Social Media Marketing for Accountants
Social media platforms aren't just for sharing the latest trending video or amusing meme. And while accounting isn't necessarily thought of as a "social" industry, social media has phenomenal potential as a serious content marketing path for accountants. The critical factor in leveraging what social media offers in content marketing is properly channeling your marketing efforts. That means:
- selecting the most appropriate platform(s) for your brand
- sharing messages that resonate with current and potential clients
- maintaining a consistent presence to keep your firm and services top of mind
- Social media channels are buzzing with information, and there is no shortage of people ready to consume it.
In addition to positioning you as an expert in your field, social media marketing allows you to connect with industry leaders, build camaraderie, and learn from others, enhancing your business.
When developing a social media marketing campaign, first determine the best platform(s) to showcase your firm's services (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.). Then, create quality content to share and set up a regular sharing schedule.
3. Making SEO Work for Your Accounting Firm
Most people have at least a vague idea about search engine optimization (SEO). Still, search engine optimization is more technical than most people have time to learn and implement. Unfortunately, even if your firm has a great website, it likely won't be found by potential clients without strong SEO. That's because SEO incorporates several factors that, when properly managed, make a website easier for search engines like Google to find. When someone searches for accounting firms, tax accountants, or CPAs in your area, your firm's website is more likely to rise to the top of the results. That increases the likelihood that you'll get the call.
Due to the technical nature of SEO, it is best to leave it to professionals. When seeking help with SEO for your firm's website, look for a firm that specializes in working with accounting firms. They will know the strategies, keywords, phrases, and best practices to ensure your SEO efforts remain effective over time.
Benefits of Content Marketing
While implementing a content marketing program for your accounting firm may seem like a tall order, the benefits outweigh the efforts. That is especially true if you have a qualified professional helping implement your strategies. Here are just a few benefits you can expect from implementing a content marketing program:
- Increase Visibility - Effective content marketing gets your business noticed by your target audience. Nurture Relationships - Building relationships is essential. For example, if your clients can connect with you on social media for accounting assistance, that fosters trust
- Reputation Management – With the right content marketing, your firm will be perceived as knowledgeable about industry topics, making you a go-to expert in your field.
How to Get Started with Content Marketing for Your Accounting Firm
For the best results with your ongoing marketing campaigns, use a combination of content marketing methods. While that may seem daunting and time-consuming, your content marketing efforts can actually be designed to work together for maximum benefit and ROI with the right approach.
One way to be sure you get as much as possible out of your content marketing efforts is to outsource the task to a qualified internet marketing service provider designed for accounting firms and CPAs. That ensures no missteps are taken along the way and that you're getting the most out of your content marketing dollar.